We provide intelligent and innovative analysis services that can be used to improve the reliability and safety of railway lines. For new lines, we provide detailed engineering and macro routing that covers all stages of route planning and design.
- Vegetation risk analysis and cutting managementInfringing vegetation can be assessed and reported using multiple spatial data layers to include danger tree and fall in analysis. Vegetation growth rates and species can also be attributed and served through our web viewer Caydence®, or delivered as multiple GIS data layers. This identifies:
- All vegetation along the line and within the boundary and desired corridor
- Extent of canopy
- Relationship based information
- Individual tree positions
- Highest vegetation (tree peak position)
- Species and health indicators
- Growth rate estimations
- Potential carbon absorption factors
Orthomosaic with LiDAR data indicating areas of high vegetation
- Innovative network refresh
Through making use of low resolution aerial survey, satellite data and known network changes, NM Group can design a bespoke program over a series of years that concentrates on areas of change saving valuable time, resources and money.
- Slope analysis
Slope can be calculated from the Digital Terrain Model, and then spatially analyzed against set criteria. This slope layer can then be used for a number of simple interrogations such as indicating all areas above or below a set angle. This can enable flood modeling, noise mapping, or location placement of vegetation cutting equipment.
- Topographic mappingUtilizing the imagery and LiDAR data, NM Group can extract detailed topographic mapping to a high level of accuracy and detail. This non-invasive technique removes the need for field work, enabling a much safer and time-efficient method of collecting the data.
- Line of sightBased on a highly accurate terrain model extracted from LiDAR data, a Digital Surface Model can be created at any given sample spacing, allowing a point-to-point or polyline based view shed analysis. This approach can be taken on as-surveyed signal and sign positions or as per the engineering design. This means that approach time calculations can be taken along the train route based on a given speed and calculated distance from the signal.
- 3D visualization and modeling
The asset data for rail-track and stations can be fully modeled in 3D and served through an interactive viewer which enables key assets to be visualized from multiple angles in a desktop environment. Asset registers and document libraries can be spatially linked to the data providing a fully immersive 3D experience.
From our experience, having all drawings available through a centrally-hosted database gives broad access to a wide range of users in a familiar CAD-based environment common to many utilities. The main benefits for using 3D models in this way are:
- Reduction of field visits and document errors
- Improved planning and design outputs
- Improved workflow processes, data sharing and stakeholder engagement
- Overhead Line (OLE) modeling
We model OLEs by applying various loading criteria and stresses to calculate items such as that asset lifecycle.
By using our expertise within linear LiDAR, remote sensing and processing, we can deliver a more comprehensive, efficient and auditable service to the rail industry for managing and increasing performance of the OLE.
- Model OLE infrastructure
- Model the assumed loads and stresses on the OLE
- Validate vegetation infestation for all surveyed lines and provide Ellipse/SAP compatible reports where faults are identified
- Validate OLE clearances for all surveyed lines and provide Ellipse/SAP compatible reports where faults are identified
- Validate asset locations
- Help reduce operating costs and improve the safety of the network
OLE modeled and loadings applied
Engineering model of the OLE
- High resolution asset inspection
NM Group can undertake focused flights for condition assessment using thermal infrared, corona and high resolution imaging. We then link the imagery and findings to asset maps through Caydence®.
Undertaken on a stand-alone basis or as part of a reliability program, condition information can be intelligently presented as part of a workflow management package or in other formats as required.
- New line routing
Our optimal routing solution provides a holistic and quantitative approach to all stages of route planning and design. We identify the most appropriate macro and micro corridor routes based on quantitative data weighted by the appropriate factors. Six major layers are required to numerically populate the area for the initial macro-corridor routing which are weighted according to the client’s requirements. Once one or more preferred routing options have been identified, the corridor is narrowed down to a 46 m/150 ft size to pinpoint the most appropriate horizontal alignment.